On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Kurth Bemis wrote:
> redhat is bloatware...i'm sorry to say....i had redhat on this system
> before and it was slow and crashed all the time...(well gnome did)
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> with debian in about a half hour i had installed it and was running wmaker
                                                                      ^^^^^^
> ....and the difference in speed is amazing...

  Well... DUH!  You're comparing apples to oranges, and I suspect you know it,
Kurth.  :-)

  The default GNOME system uses Enlightenment, which is very resource
intensive (by design), and is somewhat unstable (not by design).  In your
case, I would recommend invoking the "GNOME Control Center", going to Desktop
-> Window Manager, and choosing "Window Maker" from the list.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>