i highly doubt the structure is broken, but its not working for me...

in sys/utsname.h (man 2 uname), the structure utsname is used to grab
info about the system, like OS name, OS version, architechture, etc....

when I set a pointer to the structure, and say, get the OS version:

struct utsname *host_uname;

os_version = malloc(strlen(host_uname->release));
os_version = (host_uname->release);

it gives me 2.4.1, no problem... but when I try to get the OS name,

system_os = malloc(strlen(host_uname->sysname));
system_os = (host_uname->sysname);

it gives me garbage, more precisely: šK@šK@

can anyone veryify this? or perhaps I just suck at coding??

thanks