One of my clients has an old mail server / name server / dhcp server
/ gateway  that is REALLY acting up.  This is a RedHat 6.0 machine
running kernel 2.2.5-15.

I moved the mail responsibility to a new box, and now the old one is not
responding to much of anything.

I can not telnet to any port or ssh from the LAN.  I managed to talnet
(I know... cleartext passwords.  I didn't set this up) from outside and
no matter what command I give it I get:

bash: fork: Resource temperarily unavailable

Of course, you can replace bash with whatever shell your in at the time.

If no one is telnetted in, the console does work some of the
time.  other times I get the same error.

The machine is at runlevel 3.  netstat shows normal connections both to
the lan and the outside, and the routing looks fine.  No new software
was added.  Only the named files (one CNAME changed and an A record
added) were changed.

I can't even get to the logs to give you some idea of what's happenning.

Anyone have clues?  I'm desperate and this is time sensitive.

Brian

|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Spam me and DIE!       |
|                 http://www.datasquire.net                   |
|                 Co-Founder & Co-Owner of                    |
|              Data Squire Internet Services                  |