On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Andrew G. Bacchi wrote:

> There can be any number of possibilities, none of which are good.  I
> have seen similar events happening when a drive is about to fail.  I
> might also expect the mother board or one of its components.  I would
> prepare a new machine ASAP.

I got a new machine (I'm typing on it now) up and running, but I need
the old one to work long enough ot port the various services over...

I think it is best to just move the new machine to the old IP, the old
machine to the new one's current IP and have one big down time while I
reconfigure rather than try to resurrect the old one.

I managed to kill the forking process (identd) by disabling it in
inetd.conf and HUP'ing inetd immediately after reboot.

The log entries (now that I can see them) repeat a message like:

in.inetd[####]: pthread_create(timeout_thread) failed: Resource
temperarily unavailable
(repeat ad nauseum)

Disabling identd fixed that, but named and ip forwarding isn't doing too
hot.

Well... time to get back tro work.....

Brian

|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Spam me and DIE!       |
|                 http://www.datasquire.net                   |
|                 Co-Founder & Co-Owner of                    |
|              Data Squire Internet Services                  |