----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: GNHLUG official status (was: maddog interview)

> There is no "state non-profit status".

Sort of.  Non-profits of certain types need to file with the AGs Office
certain information concerning fund raising etc.

>GNHLUG is a corporation of the
> State of NH. It just happens to be a non-profit corporation.

Yes.  Technically it is a voluntary corporation or association under RSA 292
as opposed to a regular corporation under RSA 293-A.

>The federal
> NPO status is just a recognition of that by the IRS, which only affects
> our ability to receive tax deductible donations. We can still get
donations,
> but they aren't deductible by the donators.

Yes.  An it has never and is unlikely to ever get above the threshold level
for even needing to obtain NPO status.

Ed Lawson