[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  > Actually, there is an official GNHLUG. We are a registered nonprofit
>  > corporation in the State of NH.  We are not an IRS 501(c)3, but we do
>  > officially exist.
>
>    I thought I remembered hearing two things:
>    (1) That State non-profit organization status was merely a path on the
way
>  to Federal NPO status, and not much use by and of itself.

There is no "state non-profit status". GNHLUG is a corporation of the
State of NH. It just happens to be a non-profit corporation. The federal
NPO status is just a recognition of that by the IRS, which only affects
our ability to receive tax deductible donations. We can still get donations,
but they aren't deductible by the donators.

   <snip>>
>    I am perfectly willing to be corrected, but I sure would like to know
what
>  is going on.  :-)

I'm not sure the list has that much bandwidth. :-)   ;/)

>  #ifdef BEAT_DEAD_HORSES
>
>    This is why we should discuss things on the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  mailing list -- so everyone can participate and know what is going on, and
>  so we have a record -- and not late at night around tables at random bars,
>  where even the few people actually present at the table might not remember
>  in the morning.  :-)
>
>  #endif /* BEAT_DEAD_HORSES */

This was discussed on both the org list, and the full list.
It just isn't the type of thing that techies remember, even sober.
Jerry announced at several meetings that he needed 5 (other?) people
to sign the papers of incorporation. I was 1 of the 5.

Bob Sparks
Linux mouth
Disclaimer: These are my opinions, and nobody else's.
    I keep trying to give them to my employer, but ...