On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We should not gloat over Microsoft's security lapses. While there are
> many many security holes in Windows and related products, the sheer
> number of installed product makes them by far a prime target. As the
> Linux (and BSD) market shares grow, we will become targets, and many of
> our security weaknesses will be exposed. We (our colective OS) have a
> much more stable system, but must not become too complacent.

Indeed. Consider what happen would if an "execute arbitrary commands"
exploit in Apache httpd popped up. I doubt the majority of web
administrators would patch it quickly enough to prevent something like
code-red happening. (running as user nobody likely helps a lot, but it
would still be pretty ugly PR is my guess ...)

Question to Ken Coar: Is there an apache "tiger team" working to prevent
this sort of exploit?