On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Karl J. Runge wrote:
> > Consider what happen would if an "execute arbitrary commands" exploit in
> > Apache httpd popped up.
>
>   Then attackers would be able to execute arbitrary commands as the "nobody"
> user, which has no access to anything on a proper system.

Agreed (and I said the above in my post).

Even still it would be a COMPLETE MESS.  The net would be swamped as it
was with code-red IIS exploits and all vulnerable servers would be
exploited within a few hours because apache is the most used webserver.
(BTW this would require exploit in the core/default apache functionality
to be as fast as code-red).

Exploited websites would be easily defaced by the modified server
(e.g. this could be done entirely in RAM).  And what fraction of
the 18 million apache servers are free from a local root exploit?
(I know Ben's answer:  1 - the fraction that deserve to be 0wned :-)

Apache is well designed and delivered, and the Unix model and practice
is way better than Microsoft's.  Still, I think there is some
reasonable chance this sort of thing could happen to apache.  Besides
the mess, just the thought of the FUD marketing Microsoft would spew
from widespread apache exploit makes me want to go start my own
personal audit of httpd!