On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Karl J. Runge wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, "Charles C. Bennett, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Check this out - a Fair Use lawsuit in play.
> >
> > http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010919/tc/cd_suit_1.html
>
> Does anyone know what happens if you put one of these SunnComm protected
> CD's in a Linux box? Given that the CD's are supposed to play in older
> equipment, I'd half guess they would work on Linux ...

I don't think they will. The problem isn't the software on the PC, but
rather the actual CD device itself. As I understand it, commercial audio
equiment is programmed to ignore any extraneous data on the CD, whereas PC
CD-ROM drives will try to read it and make sense of it (this being a
function of also being able to read data CDs).

I don't know for sure if this is how SunnComm is protecting the CDs
(adding the extra bits) but I do remember reading an article on it a while
ago.

Of course they can never really stop you from encoding the data....after
all I can connect my CD player's audio out to the line in on the
soundcard, record on the PC in standard PCM format then encode it into
MP3s. Now I know it's not 'digital quality', but any home user could do
this, and FWIW most newer sound cards have a digial in, so if you're CD
player has a digital out.....

--rdp

--
Rich Payne