There's a doc that comes with the kernel source
(Documentation/serial-console.txt) that tells you how to setup serial
consoles. This is usually the easist way to setup headless machines. Note
that some PCs will not boot w/o a keyboard attached (I have a handful of
Compaqs like this) in which case just connected a KVM switch to the
keyboard ports solves the problem (I've looked, there's no BIOS setting!).

The only other issue I've come accross is that most PCs can't redirect
their BIOS output to the serial port (I gather some newer ones can finally
do this), so you're waiting until LILO outputs something.

--rdp

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Tom Rauschenbach wrote:

> OK, I'll admit I have not read the HOWTO or the FAQ.  Reason is, I don't know
> what HOWTO or FAQ to read.  I've got a machine I'd like to be able to run
> with no keyboard, mouse and ultimatly, no monitor.  Does anyon know how to do
> this ?  Can it even be done ?  Hopefully I can find this out without
> subscibing to a Beowoulf group.
>
> TIA
>
> TomR

Rich Payne