On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Ken Ambrose wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Rich Payne wrote:
>
> > The only other issue I've come accross is that most PCs can't redirect
> > their BIOS output to the serial port (I gather some newer ones can finally
> > do this), so you're waiting until LILO outputs something.
>
> Don't forget some of the "open-BIOS" projects that are in the cooking.
> Never used one (yet), but I'm sorely tempted: ridiculously fast boot
> times, console-to-serial port redirection, and a bunch of other goodies,
> too.  Linux Weekly News did a mini-write-up of them this week; check out
> www.lwn.net/bigpage.phtml for more info and links.

Yes, they look quite interesting. The only draw back at the moment seems
to be that you need a particluar motherboard, as the code has to be that
specific.

The company I work for actually did a similar thing for Alphas. I think we
could be at the login prompt in <10 seconds, even less if we didn't init
VGA.

--rdp

--
Rich Payne