On 19 Oct, elawson wrote:
> Seems like I had this problem before and had a solution, but of course I
> failed to document it.  Anyway, for some reason certain websites are not
> accessible via our Linux Masqing machine.  Some of these are needed for the
> office and others like Linux Today are important for other reasons.  The
> browser finds the website and then hangs.  Does anyone remember the fix for
> this problem?  I think it has to do with Linux handling IPv6 one way and
> certain systems doing it differently which results in websites being
> inaccessible even though IPv6 is not being used.

Are you running a 2.4 kernel?  If so, it wasn't IPv6, it was ECN
(explicit congestion notification), which was an added feature in 2.4
and is (I think) turned on by default.  If so,

echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

should take care of the problem for you.

If not, someone else will have to come up with the solution because
that's all I remember about it.
--
Stephen Ryan                                        Debian GNU/Linux
Technology Coordinator