Let's call the "canonical" pathname of a given file the
absolute pathname which is "most direct" ie. has no
instances of "."  or ".."  in it.  So, if I have two
directories /a/b/c and /d/e/f and a file named XYZZY in
c, we can refer to it by many different pathnames, both
absolute and relative.  For example, assuming we're
standing in directory e all of the following can refer
to XYZZY but only the last is the canonical pathname:

     f/../../../a/b/c/XYZZY
   ./f/../../../a/b/c/XYZZY
          ../../a/b/c/XYZZY
     ../../a/b/../b/c/XYZZY
          /a/b/c/../c/XYZZY
        /a/b/c/../c/./XYZZY
               /a/b/c/XYZZY

What I'm looking for is something that will provide
the canonical pathname of a file no matter how one
refers to it.  I can write a script to do this if I
must but I'm hoping this capability already exists.