Hi Mike -

   I had to do something like this in code I wrote for the DEC TRU64
UNIX package manager.  I needed to be able to resolve the actual
locations of files within filesystems independent of any symbolically
linked directories in their paths.  I was doing space accounting so
there was also a great deal more involved.

   Can we assume that the path you have can be used from your current
working directory to access the file?  If so it should be sufficient
to stat the file to see if it's a directory or something else.  If
it's a directory, cd there and use /bin/pwd to get a full path.  If
it's not, lop the terminal file name "/foo" off the path, cd, use
/bin/pwd and paste the terminal file name back onto the result.  We
use /bin/pwd because the pwd built-in in most shells are easily fooled
by symlinks.

ccb