In a message dated: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:04:26 PST
"Karl J. Runge" said:

>Typing extra characters interferes with one's concentration
>for example, "ll" vs. "ls -lF | more"

Hmm, you're right.  That did mess up my concentration.  Ahh, here's
the problem: sed 's/more/less/'

;)

>I find it hard to buy any argument that says it is a bad idea for people
>to make abbreviations for things they type 10's or 100's of times a day.

I'm not against making things easier, just making things easier at
the cost of really screwing yourself up even just once *because* you
tried to make things easier.  (I hope you can follow that, I think I
just confused myself :)

>Try not to think about the generally bad practice of using an alias for
>*refining* a common command like rm -> rm -i via an alias.  Something
>like rmi -> rm -i is better.

>I do not recommend redefining things via aliases. cd and ls are my two
>personal transgressions.  (I alias cd to set the window manager title
>to pwd in xterm)

Exactly!  That's the point I'm trying to make.

>Well, don't do something that will mess you up :-)

Very good advice!  I think I'll remember that one :)

>> I look at this as 5 new commands I now need to remember rather than 1
>> command and a couple different options.
>
>I look at it as 47 characters less to type, and I type these commands
>10's or 100's of times a day!

I'm so used to typing exactly what I need, I don't really notice the
extra characters.

There are a couple I do have, like lsd='ls -l | grep ^d', though,
technically it's a ksh function, not an alias, though it essentially
amounts to the same thing. (anyone want to expound upon the
differences between an alias and a function, I'm tired of typing ;)