In a message dated: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:30:03 EST
Arthur Perkins said:

>       Hello Mr. Lussier
>
>       After scanning the Linux user pages I came across your name listed
>as the Nashua NH chapter chair. I Live in Lowell MA and Nashua is the
>nearest town that was listed.
>
>       I am a new Linux user or at least I am trying to be. I am in the
>process of setting up a work station to run Linux and add it into a home
>network that I am building.   I have been trying to install Red Hat 7.2 on
>but I have had very little luck. I have an Athalon XP 1600 processor on a an
>Asus A7A266 mother board with 256k of DDR  memory. If you know of any one in
>the area that knows Red Hat and likes to help out new users that are way
>over there head. Please feel free to pass my name to them.
>
>       I want to thank you for your time. and attention to this matter.

Hi, and Welcome to GNHLUG, we're always happy to gain new members :)

I'm more than willing to try and answer any questions you may have, or at
least try and point you in the right direction.

Anyway, most of the information you're probaly looking for/interested in
regarding the GNHLUG and it's meetings can probably be found at our website:

        http://www.gnhlug.org.

GNHLUG is set up as a state-wide organization with several sub-chapters.  I'm
the chairman of the Nashua chapter.  Every chapter holds their own meetings
each month, then once each quarter, we try to get all of GNHLUG together
for a large quarterly meeting.  For quarterly meetings in the past, we've had
speakers such as Ted T'so (ext2, ext2 utils, pilot-link, etc), and just this
past December, Eazel flew out from California for us to speak about their
projects.

Meetings for the Nashua chapter are held at Martha's Exchange, a
micro-brew pub and restaurant located in Nashua on Main Street.  The
meetings are usually the 4th Wednesday of each month, and begin about
19:00ish or so. (***NOTE****  This month we're meeting on THURSDAY,
29 Novemeber due to a scheduling conflict with Martha's).

Many of us often show up for dinner around 18:00 or so in the pub
before the meeting.  If you're ever so inclined to show up for
dinner, please RSVP to me so I can get an accurate count in order to
make reservations.

When you get there, walk in the front door and turn right toward the large
brass Beer Brewing Kettles.  At the end of the bar, turn left.  We should
be the large group at the back :)

If you need directions to Martha's Exchange, they should be available
on the web site.

For the Nashua chapter, some of the up coming meeting topics are:

        Thu, 29 Nov, 2001       VPNs and SSH by GNHLUG members Karl Runge
                                and Ken Ambrose

        Wed, 12 Dec, 2001       GNHLUG state-wide Holiday Gathering
                                Jon 'maddog' Hall on the 12 Days of Linux
                                (friends, spouses, etc. all invited,
                                 there will be a small per-person charge
                                 to help us cover the costs of food/drink)

There's really nothing more to getting involved other than either
showing up to meetings or taking part in the general mailling list discussions.
I highly recommend joining the mail list.  There's a tremendous amount of
knowledge on that list, and everyone really benefits from helping each other
out.  So, if you need help, it's a great place to get it.  If you don't, it's
a great place to lend a helping hand to others.  You can get all the mail list
info on our web site.

There's ususally a Question/Answer session both before and after each meeting
where we try to help people solve their problems, so if you have some pressing
problem, this is usually a good place to meet up with someone who may have the
answer.

Additionally, we do have what we call New User Night's or N.U.N.'s.  All the
information to these events should also be on the web site as well.

As to your specific question regarding getting Red Hat 7.2 installed
on your specific hardware, that shouldn't be a problem.  We have
several people who are quite expert in all flavors of Linux, with the
majority of us being more than familiar with Red Hat.

You're best bet is to visit the Linux Documentation Project and read
the "Installation and Getting Started Guide".

The LDP is located at http://www.linuxdoc.org and contains several
very well written guides on various aspects of Linux in addition to
almost 100 very problem specific HOWTOs.

I encourage you join our mailing list and post your questions there,
as that is the best way to get help.  But please make sure to pose
your questions in clear, well-thought out terms, explaining exactly
what you're trying to do, and what is happening, including any error
messages you are receiving.  The more specific you are, the better we
can help you and the faster you'll have Linux up and running.

Again, welcome to GNHLUG!

--
Paul Lussier

Chairman, Nashua Chapter, Greater New Hampshire Linux User's Group (GNHLUG)
Senior Systems and Network Engineer
Mission Critical Linux, Inc.