Hi all,

I've just completed construction of a dual PIII system and I'm having some
difficulties installing Debian 2.2 on it.

Hardware:

MSI 694D Pro AIR Dual Socket 370 MB with VIA 694DP chipset,
Promise FastTrack 100 Lite Raid Controller (PDC20265),
VIA VT82C686A chipset (APM, AC97 Audio, UDMA 33/66 IDE)

2 PIII/1000EB OEM chips

384 Megs PC133 SDRAM

2 IBM GXP60 60 Meg drives in a mirroring array on the ATA-100 interface.

I'm trying to install Debian 2.2r3. I downloaded the 3-disc set from one of
the mirror sites (ISO-images, set the system to boot from CD, and fired it
up.

First problem: the installation kernel wouldn't see my disk drives. Research
on the Debian site pointed to CD#4 which would boot a kernel with the
UDMA-66 SCSI drivers in it. (Not exactly UDMA-100, but what the hell.)
Looked EVERYWHERE, could not find a CD image of this disk. DID find a folder
with a kernel, a tar archive full of drivers, and some misc files. Fine, I
could make a CD, right? Well, I downloaded the stuff, and tried to match it
up to the format of the other 3 CDs. Couldn't make sense out of it, so I
tried plan B: there was another folder with floppy disk images in it. I
downloaded those, wrote them to a bunch of floppies, and voila: the
installation program could see my drives and I could get to the partitioning
program.

Second Problem: The partitioning program, cfdisk, kept hanging while trying
to initialize my 40 meg /usr partition (/dev/hde8) Tried making it smaller,
that didn't work. Tried making another partiton after it; that DID work, but
then I couldn't initialize the [new] last partition. Finally, I moved it up
in the order, so that this arrangement got initialized and mounted:

/dev/hde1    1.2 megs    swap
/dev/hde2    5 megs       root
/dev/hde5    10 megs     /home
/dev/hde6    40 megs     /usr
/dev/hde7    2.5 megs    /tmp
/dev/hde8    1.3 megs    /var

Third problem: During install, the machine randomly hangs. It randomly hung
during the partitioning process earlier too, but I figured that was due to
cfdisk screwing up.

Now Debian's docs say that the UDMA-66 kernel is "patched" for the Promise
SCSI drivers, and the lack of a 4th disk in the ISO install set indicates to
me that UDMA-66 support is an afterthought.

Before I go and tear this thing apart and try the following:

Installing with only one processor;
Installing without the RAID array;
Installing with a disk on the standard IDE port;
Installing a copy of Red Hat or some other distribution

I thought I'd run my experiences by the group to try to determine if:

a) the SMP kernel supplied in 2.2r3 potato (sorry I don't know what version
it is) has problems;
b) my hardware might have problems;
c) my hardware is not supported;
d) Debian's install program has known issues with "newer" hardware (why
isn't a UDMA-capable kernel part of the "vanilla" package?)

Any thoughts, warnings, tips, or comments would be greatly appreciated. :o)

Rich Cloutier
President, C*O
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES
www.sysupport.com