In a message dated: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:24:17 EST
Jerry Kubeck said:

>Can anyone help these folk?
>
>Thanks
>Jerry
>
>>From: "Aaron Hayes - ITSD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Info request
>>Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:24:26 -0500
>>
>>Hi Guys, I just stumbled upon your site (great site, I am originally
>>from NH, and love to see you're spreading the word about Linux). I
>>was wondering if you or anyone you know provides support for Linux
>>slackware servers. A friend of mine is running his company's web and
>>email server; Linux Slackware 7 running sendmail 8.9 and his
>>company's website (Apache 1.39). He has recently gotten locked out
>>of the box. None of his user names or passwords will alow him to log
>>in. He is basically without support for the server and needs to get
>>people back in for their email. A friend of mine thought it sounded
>>like he had a corrupt password file and suggested the following;
>>download boot (bare.i) and root disks (color.gz) and create them
>>using rawrite.exe boot off the floppy and reset the root password.
>>I'm not sure if he knows how to do this and was wondering if eitehr
>>of you were in the Manchester area and might be interested in a side
>>project or side capital. My number is 603-770-6899, cal me with
>>questions or ideas, gotta run.

Did he forget the password/username pair?  Or was his system possibly
compromised and he's been locked out by the cracker who now owns his
system?

The easiest thing to do would be to create a bootable floppy and then
manually mount the root partition of the system disk and edit the
/etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow files.

Of course, if this system has been compromised, and a cracker has
taken it over, the above is merely an excercise in futility, since
the cracker will just lock him out again.  In this case he's going to
have to either build a new system or wipe the existing one clean and
re-install from the ground up.

I hope that helps.
--
Paul Lussier                                    (877) 625-4689/(978) 606-0256
Senior Systems and Network Engineer             100 Foot of John Street