On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jerry Kubeck wrote:

> Can anyone help these folk?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry
>

> >From: "Aaron Hayes - ITSD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Info request
> >Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 17:24:26 -0500
> >
> >Hi Guys, I just stumbled upon your site (great site, I am originally
> >from NH, and love to see you're spreading the word about Linux). I
> >was wondering if you or anyone you know provides support for Linux
> >slackware servers. A friend of mine is running his company's web and
> >email server; Linux Slackware 7 running sendmail 8.9 and his
> >company's website (Apache 1.39). He has recently gotten locked out
> >of the box. None of his user names or passwords will alow him to log
> >in. He is basically without support for the server and needs to get
> >people back in for their email. A friend of mine thought it sounded
> >like he had a corrupt password file and suggested the following;
> >download boot (bare.i) and root disks (color.gz) and create them
> >using rawrite.exe boot off the floppy and reset the root password.
> >I'm not sure if he knows how to do this and was wondering if eitehr
> >of you were in the Manchester area and might be interested in a side
> >project or side capital. My number is 603-770-6899, cal me with
> >questions or ideas, gotta run.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Aaron

Well, I have no specific experience with Slackware, but if the box uses
LILO to boot and has RH-style runlevels (don't know if that is a feature
of non-RH/Mandrake distros or not), then at the LILO prompt, he should
type:

linux single

which should boot it into single-user mode, leaving him logged in as root
with no password required. Then he does a passwd command to set a new root
p/w, and reboots to the usual runlevel; he's in business again and can now
adjust the passwords for the other users.

Some systems disable the boot-to-single-user-mode-w/o-password feature as
a security precaution (on Mandrake 8.x, the Bastille firewall script gives
this as an option). If this has been done on that box, he's bumming. :)

HTH!

--

Bill Mullen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]