>I had (eh-hem) some fun in installing RH on my Vaio:
>the floppy drive is USB, and I had to install off of
>network or CD-ROM, both of which would be accessed
>via PCMICA.

My current firewall system is an ancient 486
mongrel machine.  I happen to prefer Debian so
that's what I tried first but I simply could
NOT bring up any of their standard installation
kernels on that firewall machine.  I then tried
several different RH releases but none of them
even got as far as I'd gotten with Debian.

The solution in my case: build (on a another
system) a statically linked kernel customized
for the mongrel machine and then replace the
standard kernel on the Debian booter floppy
with my system-specific one.  Fortunately,
replacing the kernel was straightforward because
Debian uses bootable MSDOS floppies containing
SYSLINUX and a few config files along with the
kernel image, so all I had to do was mount the
floppy on another machine to have full access.

I don't know the layout of RH booter floppies
but if joy can't be found by any other means
it might be possible to use some variation of
the approach just described.  Of course, this
approach almost certainly fails to satisfy the
"most painless way" condition that was mentioned
in the original request for help...  ;->