In a message dated: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:27:59 EST
Tom Rauschenbach said:

>I downloaded a package ( kisocd-0.6.3) and tried to compile it.  When it
>wouldn't , I returned to its web page to find that sure enough it won't build
>with autoconf 2.5 which is of course what I have.

You could upgrade autoconf, couldn't you? Or is 2.5 more recent than
what kisocd needs

>So I downloaded the rpm.  I have never used rpm before.  It complains that
>there are a bunch of missing dependencies, most of which I'm sure I have.
>
>Having read the man page (and learned nothing useful) I'm sort of guessing
>that the database that rpm maintains does not know that I have these things.

Are all these things installed from source?  If so, that would make
sense.  Or, if this is a RH based system, it could be that rpm is
complaining that the versions you have installed are not as up to
date as they need to be.

>Does that make sense ?  Do I need to build this data base ?  Would --force
>work as well ?

If you've installed all the pre-req packages from source, and you're
pretty confident that A) they're all in the right place, and B)
they're of a recent enough vintage, then --force might just work.

Give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose.  Oh, wait, you might also
need --no-deps.

>Or should I just try a different CD burner program ?

Well, I always just use cdrecord and mkisofs from the command line.
I always get exactly what I want, and the man page is pretty clear.
I've tried Xcdroast, but couldn't get it to work for me in under 5
minutes (I'm very impatient).  And, if you can do something from the
command line, then why waste time with a GUI? :)