I think you may be failing to see the forest for the trees.  I've had
drives (especially the 100 GB Maxtors) that *some* programs refused to
see, whereas others saw the whole thing.  I suggest firing up "cfdisk":
a somewhat more complex, substantially more powerful program than the
stock "fdisk", and see if it doesn't see your whole drive.  Also, what
does your system report when it identifies the drive during boot?  Check
"dmesg" to see (assuming it hasn't scrolled).  That will most likely be
how the *kernel* sees it -- it's then up to userland utils to make sure
that they put the correct partitions, etc., in place.  (For example,
here's a line from mine:
hdb: 195711264 sectors (100204 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=12182/255/63...)
That had been there the whole time, so I knew the kernel knew what was
up, but fdisk *refused* to see it... though cfdisk worked quite nicely.

HTH...

-Ken