In a message dated: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:34:51 EST
"Mansur, Warren" said:

>how can I make sure that the delete key will always work when I log in to
>the various machines?  Is it something to do with stty?

Yes, usually 'stty -erase ^H' will do the trick, or 'stty -erase ^?'

>Also, while I'm at it, can someone point me to a good place to learn about re-
>mapping my keys to do something useful (Example: re-mapping CapsLock to Ctrl),

Well, for X, you can do this one of 2 ways:

        - either set up the X server with the option:

                XkbOptions  "ctrl:swapcaps"

        - use xmodmap

                I have a script in my ~/bin dir that does:

                swap-caps
                        #!/bin/sh
                        xmodmap $HOME/bin/swap-caps.xmodmap

                swap-caps.xmodmap:

                        ! Swap Caps_Lock & Control_L
                        remove Lock = Caps_Lock
                        remove Control = Control_L
                        keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
                        keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
                        add Lock = Caps_Lock
                        add Control = Control_L

This was blatantly stolen from 'man xmodmap'

To swap caps and control on the console out side of X,  man keymap.
I haven't done this in a long, long time, but I think what I did was
figure out which keymap was the default for my system, then copied it
to my home directory and edited it, swapping caps for control.  Then
I added a clause to my .profile that said:

        if [ console == 'tty' ]
        then
          use ~/my.keymap.gz
        fi

obviously it's a little more complicated, but not much.  I only did
this on my laptop, so I'll try and dig this out when I get home
tonight and repost exactly what I did.

> and even setting some of my keys to be 'macro' keys (Example: Hit F10 and
> then some long convoluded command gets executed that usually I have to type over
> and over)?

This is usually done through the window manager.  I have Ctrl-X set
to launch an xterm, for example.  Other things run scripts for me.

Hope that helps.
--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon