Anybody know anything about moto or have any opinion on it, especially
security-wise?  It's at http://www.webcodex.com/moto/.;  I ask because I
*really* like the idea that it (supposedly) makes it easy to build a
web application that you can first intepret (for development) and later
compile into an Apache DSO.  Pretty slick, and *probably* has a huge
performance advantage over things like mod_perl and mod_php.  Maybe,
maybe not, just curious if anyone here has worked with and can comment
on it's usability, performance, or security.

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:30:31PM -0500, Derek D. Martin wrote:

> At some point hitherto, Rodent of Unusual Size hath spake thusly:
> > "Derek D. Martin" wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll go one better than that.  If you use PHP, STOP.  They have
> > > security bulletins released about once a week, it seems (o.k. I'm
> > > exaggerating A LITTLE).  About the only "vendor" with more frequent
> > > releases is Microsoft...
> >
> > Eh, I don't buy that.  Please back it up with some references.
>
> Ok, I'll back down partially in that upon review, many of the
> advisories I've seen I've mis-remembered; they were not actually PHP
> advisories, but for software written in PHP.  However, just this year:
>
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/258995
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/258662
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/255037
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/254846
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/254005
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/250196
>
> Some of these are considered fairly minor, in that the vulnerability
> is a possible exposure of what may be considered sensitive info.  Some
> of these are things that can be fixed by altering the configuration of
> PHP.  The problem is that it shows a pattern of failing to think
> about programming security issues.
>
> There are also some earlier advisories which complain about the design
> of PHP encouraging the development of insecure code.  It seems that
> writing secure PHP scripts is also very difficult, and there are quite
> number of advisories for software written in PHP, which are not
> necessarily the fault of PHP, but perhaps encouraged by the design of
> PHP.
>
> I stand by what I said: if you're using PHP, it is my opinion that
> you're better off from a security standpoint using something else.
> You have to worry about security problems in the software written
> using PHP, as well as those of PHP itself.  For example, Perl has zero
> reported vulnerabilities over the same period of time, and only one
> report of a vulnerability in software written in it (a file disclosure
> bug caused by bad input validation).  I personally don't feel that PHP
> has a track record that warrants confidence in the security of your
> web server, and possibly your network depending on other trust
> relationships with your web server.  Better, mmore proven alternatives
> exist.
>
> - --
> Derek Martin               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!
> GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
> Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu
> Learn more about it at http://www.gnupg.org