On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, at 4:30pm, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> However, just this year:
>
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/258995
> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/258662

  I believe these two are the same issue, the one originally under
discussion in this thread.

> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/255037

  This is not a PHP-specific issue, but a widespread programmer brain damage
issue.

> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/254846

  This is an Apache configuration error, not a PHP problem.

> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/254005

  Legit.

> http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/250196

  Somewhat legit.  It can be argued that /tmp is a design flaw in Unix.  I
would be inclined to agree with said argument.  However, using an OS feature
known to be broken is not exactly a good call, either.

> Some of these are considered fairly minor, in that the vulnerability is a
> possible exposure of what may be considered sensitive info.

  And others appear to have been included simply because the string "PHP"
appeared in the message.  ;-)

> There are also some earlier advisories which complain about the design of
> PHP encouraging the development of insecure code.  It seems that writing
> secure PHP scripts is also very difficult, and there are quite number of
> advisories for software written in PHP, which are not necessarily the
> fault of PHP, but perhaps encouraged by the design of PHP.

  Okay, with all due respect, that is pure FUD.  Yes, FUD -- Fear,
Uncertainty, and Doubt.  "There isn't really anything wrong here, but if you
use it, you will be burned, just because."  You can make the same argument
for Unix, C, Perl Java, the Internet, computers in general...

> You have to worry about security problems in the software written using
> PHP, as well as those of PHP itself.

  Again: This is true for *anything*.

> For example, Perl has zero reported vulnerabilities over the same period
> of time, and only one report of a vulnerability in software written in it
> (a file disclosure bug caused by bad input validation).

  Whoa!  Were you not around a few years ago, when finding holes in popular
Perl CGI scripts was practically a daily occurrence?

> I stand by what I said: if you're using PHP, it is my opinion that you're
> better off from a security standpoint using something else.

  I think the problem you are seeing is that your average web designer
cannot code worth a damn.  They think the system should be "chmod -R 777 /"
because everything else is too hard to understand.  They think a system is
secure as long as they have purchased a certificate from VeriSign (actually
using SSL is optional).  Really advanced web designers might think Telnet is
a really cool idea.  They simply don't *get* security, usually because they
simply haven't had the training [1].

  Blaming that on PHP is very poor form.

Footnotes
---------
[1] Yes, I've over-generalizing.  Not all web designers are security
    illiterate.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>