On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Greg Kettmann wrote:
> So here's the problem.  I put back my original hard drive as a slave on
> the IDE channel.  It comes up as a C: drive.  I tried adding it to the
> GRUB menu, but I can't get it to boot.  Should I be able to boot this
> Windows 98SE drive?  When I tell it to boot from (1,0) it just hangs,
> although first it does identify the drive as being VFAT or FAT32.  I
> tried using the Map (0,1) and Map (1,0).  I tried at least 20 different
> variations but couldn't get it to boot.  I don't have my notes with me
> right now but I used the commands exactly as stated in the GRUB manual.

Hi Greg,
        I'm new to the list, so if your setup is common knowledge, I
apologize.  In any case, is the new drive SCSI?  If so, your onboard IDE
will take the first physical drive slots (C,D,E,F under dos/windows if
you have 2 controllers).  I don't know of a way around that... I think
you'd have to initialize your SCSI BIOS before your IDE BIOS, but maybe
someone else has an idea there.

        If it's not SCSI, and you're working with all IDE drives... I'd
like to understand the setup a little better.  You've got 2 physical hard
drives, 1 is the new one you installed RH7.2, dual boot with XP on and the
other is your original 98/SE drive?  If you're sure you've got the jumpers
on those configured to Master/Slave correctly, they should be working.
What -might- be happening under XP, though, is that - IIRC - the physical
disk's primary partitions get mapped first, so - if you have 2 drives,
lets call them hda and hdb, and you have 2 partitions on hda and one on
hdb (hda1, hda2, hdb1) then they'll map like this under windows:
        hda1 - C:  (Assuming it's a windows partition type)
        hdb1 - D:  (     "    )
        hda2 - E:  (     "    )

Now, if you don't have a windows partition type on any of them, just bump
up the lower ones... which - sounds to me like what could be going on for
you - on hda1, you have linux - unrecognizeable partitionunder windows,
So, hdb1 becomes C and hda2 becomes D....

There's a couple of ways to solve this that might work, one, you might try
and throw a small linux partition in front of your 98/SE partition, making
the primary be unrecognizeable... but that's really not as clean as just
wiping the old drive and installing XP on there.  Not sure if it's a good
size or not, but, that does seem the cleanest option all around.

Hope that helps,
Ben

--

 To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme
 excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.