On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, at 2:19pm, Karl J. Runge wrote:
>> VNC? Ugh. Doesn't that just ship around a big pixmap of the desktop?
>> That would chew up bandwidth a lot more than just running exmh remotely.
>
> I would guess bandwidth is not the problem, but rather latency.

  Karl Runge is on the right track.  X is very senstive to latency.  The
bandwidth requirements can actually be fairly minor for simple constructs
(e.g., a GNU Emacs window), but a high-latency link will kill you.

  As far as VNC goes, yes, it basically ships a big pixmap of the desktop to
the remote station.  In fact, the VNC protocol is RFB, or "remote frame
buffer".

  However, there are a number of optimizations.  Standard (from AT&T)  VNC
will only send changes to the buffer, and uses run-legth encoding to make
solid color blocks go quickly.  TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com) adds more
advanced compression (based on JPEG, I believe), plus client-side mouse
handling.  It is very usable, even over comparatively low-bandwidth links.
I highly recommend it.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>