Well, the encouraging replies from Derek M., Dan C., and Benjamin S.
have turned my frown upside down! (thanks for tolerating my whiney
tone yesterday)

Simply put, my PATH is really hosed up! /sbin nowhere to be found. No
wonder I've been having so much trouble! But let me back up briefly
and provide info that may be useful for troubleshooters:

I got into the linux biz out of the need for a research software app
called UltraScan, referred to as just <us> on the CLI. So, yeah,
unfortunately I do not have much unix experience.  But as the heart
of MacOS X indicates, unix IS the foreseeable future of personal
computer operating systems, and so I want and need to learn how to
use it in some form. At least a working familiarity so that I can get
work done.  I'm actually excited about learning how to use it, just
not when I can't even get a simple command to work :0)

The writer of the 'us' software developed it for intel machines, so
he has bent over backwards by helping configure it on my PPC machine,
because there have been many unexpected hurdles to getting it working
right.  In fact, there is still a problem with how it displays graphs
on the screen. Might require a recompile of X or something, I have
been told.

Anyway, after all the work he did on my machine (cross-country, via
the net) it looks like a bunch of crap has piled up in my PATH so I'm
looking for advice on how best to prune it. Maybe I'm doing something
unintentionally to cause all the duplication? (see below)

<echo $PATH> returns the following info -- (linebreaks chosen for
clarity, I hope)

/usr/local/us/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/us/bin:
/usr/local/us/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/us/bin:
/usr/local/us/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/us/bin:
/usr/local/us/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/us/bin:
/usr/local/us/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin:/usr/local/us/bin:
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games/bin:
/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/ked2/bin:.:/opt/gnome/bin:
/local/qmake/bin:/usr/local/tmake/bin:/local/qmake/bin:
/usr/local/tmake/bin:/local/qmake/bin:/usr/local/tmake/bin:
local/qmake/bin:/usr/local/tmake/bin:/local/qmake/bin:
/usr/local/tmake/bin

Clearly a horrible mess!  I have been using KDE for desktop mgr, so I
don't guess I need any gnome stuff, and I havent been using linux for
games, so I don't think that needs to be there.  (Although another
linuxhead here was showing me BZFlag netplay, which was pretty cool,
and I thought it might be fun to get that working as a learning
experience!)

I am using BASH shell.
The command I was trying to run yesterday, cardmgr, was easily and
quickly found with whereis and locate when logged in as a regular
user.  'which' only worked as root, and 'find' took too long to
bother with but it did work.   cardmgr was found in /sbin/cardmgr.

So from Dan Coutu's reply, it looks like my PATH should start off
with, or at least include, /sbin, /usr/bin, /bin, and /usr/bin.  And
I do want to keep one copy of /usr/local/us/bin but that can/should
go at the end, right?

Can I just trash this whole path and re-write it?

Thanks for all your kind and thorough advice!
--Michael
--
Michael L. Bovee, Ph.D.