On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 08:58, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So, using Gnumeric just removing the 2 blank sheets from this file reduced
> the size of the file by over 1k.  Further, saving it as an XML file further
> reduced it to 2.7k! That's slightly more than 1/6 the original size,
> that's what, roughly an 84% reduction?!

The README for OO 1.0 indicates they're using Info-ZIP to compress their
XML files.  Sure enough, as I take a look at an invoice I wrote in OO:

[markk@jackie markk]$ file ebsinc3.sxw
ebsinc3.sxw: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract
[markk@jackie markk]$ unzip -t ebsinc3.sxw
Archive:  ebsinc3.sxw
    testing: content.xml              OK
    testing: Basic/Standard/ThisDocument.xml   OK
    testing: Basic/Standard/script-lb.xml   OK
    testing: Basic/script-lc.xml      OK
    testing: styles.xml               OK
    testing: meta.xml                 OK
    testing: settings.xml             OK
    testing: META-INF/manifest.xml    OK
No errors detected in compressed data of ebsinc3.sxw.
[markk@jackie markk]$

Gnumeric may be doing the same thing.  Good analysis!

-Mark