On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, at 6:02pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I do occasionally use the Quicktime plugin from the CrossOver Plugins pkg,
> but I just heard that Xine will be supporting this in an up coming release

  I am told that QuickTime itself is actually reasonable open and
well-documented, but that many of the CODECs used are not.  I know that I
have been able to view certain QuickTime movies using "xanim" under Linux
without problems.  The problem (or so the story goes) is that the preferred
CODEC for QuickTime these days is only available from a company called
Sorensen, and Apple's licensing deal with them prevents Sorensen from
licensing it to anyone else.

  As far as Xine goes, they have created a decoder for one version of the
Sorensen CODEC.  However, the decoder does not work with the "current"
version used by many websites.  So, you can view the Star Wars Episode I
trailer, but not the Episode II trailer.

  Or so I am told.  A lot of this information is based on Slashdot postings,
which are only slightly more reliable than a random-number generator.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>