On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 11:10, Derek D. Martin wrote:

[snip]

> Bad, bad idea.  This turns an attack back on the attacker, who may or
> may not really be the source of the attack.  This sort of retaliatory
> measure is illegal in many states and on a fedral level, and you may
> find yourself in court for doing it.

  Harumph.  I kinda knew that, but in a way, I was hoping there was a
way, from the attacker's perspective, of making it really look it was
coming from himself.  Because, really, it is.
  If it wasn't for the legality aspect, I'd sorta disagree that it would
be a bad idea.  Maybe, maybe not.  But if you use an OS notorious for
it's vulnerabilities, or even if you use one that is known for its high
security, you need to take the responsibility of making sure it is kept
clean of these scourges.  Having rogue packets bounced back to you is
one more method of waking these people up.
  Analogy: somebody plants a hidden remote control weapon (say, a super
soaker) on your property.  Your neighbors, getting sick of getting
soaked every time they walk out of their houses, put up special barriers
which deflect the water stream back to you, soaking you if you happen to
be outside as well.  In the real world, your neighbors can simply
complain to you.  With Nimda and friends, the sheer numbers and
difficulty in tracking these people down makes it unworkable.
  But alas, I don't intend on doing this, since, as you said, I will
likely find myself in court if I do.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator