On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 22:22, Ken Ambrose wrote:

[snip]

> Bottom line: Linux folk usually buy hardware because they like (*gasp*)
> the -hardware-.  Not because of how easy the software is to use.  Linux
> may one day gain a substantial foothold on the desktop, but it hasn't
> happened yet, and it won't be tomorrow, either.  Until such time as it's
> "easy enough for grandma," it's far better to put the resources into
> making the hardware work with Linux rather than prettifying an install.

  I'll second that!  I generally don't like laptops due to the fact that
the quality is usually lower than a comparable desktop and the cost
quite a bit higher.  The majority of times I've been issued one by my
employer, I haven't needed it -- I always have access to whatever data I
need since my systems at home are 'always-on' and I have internet access
almost everywhere I go.  Any desktop with an ssh client is all I need.

  However...

  The times I have owned laptops, they have always been used ones for a
few simple facts:

  1) I refuse to pay full price for a piece of equipment that I'm not
certain is 100% Linux compatible.  (Winmodems+NonGPL Linmodem drivers !=
100% Linux compatible in my book.)
  2) I refuse to pay the Microsoft Tax and though it's possible to avoid
that with desktops, AFAICT, it is impossible with laptops.  I thought I
found a place in Emperor Linux laptops, but I'm pretty sure they set
them up dual boot with some incarnation of Windows for no extra cost.
Hence, it's obvious that they are passing on the cost of the M$ license
even when you ask for it Linux only.

  So, make sure there are no Winmodems, no graphics chipsets that
require proprietary drivers, and provide an identical model with some
version of Windows preinstalled so that we can have proof that you are
not passing on any M$ license cost to Linux (or blank) laptop
purchasers.  (Well, okay, not that last one, but at the very least, make
some kind of definitive statement to that effect.)
  Provide this in *both* high end and low end machines, and you'll have
a collection of laptops from which I may consider purchasing one some
day.
  And with that I say -- Go Greg Kettmann!

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator