Rich Payne said:
>On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Bayard R. Coolidge wrote:
>

>> So, if they could at least offer a model that can auto-install SuSE 8.0,
>> that did not have any Microsoft product on it, I'd be very interested.
>
>I think Bayard hits upon a very good point here. If IBM can't justify
>selling Linux pre-loaded on laptops (and I understand why) then how about
>selling Thinkpads with no OS? Surely this is the next best (or for us geek
>types a better) thing.
>
>FWIW, I've had about 6 laptops so far - 5 Thinkpads and now a Sony Vaio
>Slimbook. Most of the Thinkpads were employer owned and I must say that
>most ran Linux w/o to much trouble (back to the 755 I think), the one
>glaring exception of course was the MWave modem. I'd also much rather be
>using one today (that is if they made an Athlon version :)

I recently bought a toshiba laptop to replace one that died.  The old
one had a working modem (28.8), the new one that has a winmodem.
Everything else works very nicely.

I have a PCMCIA modem just for winmodems, but it's be nice if the
builtin one worked.  The old laptops let you install a modem after you
bought it, but that was always more $$$ then the PCMCIA modems.

I'd say winmodems are the worst part of today's laptops and the easiest
to work around.  A non working graphics card or sound would make me
return the laptop.

btw - my old laptop was a P150.  With a 1GHz Celeron on a wireless
network, I never fire up my desktop.

--
-------
Tom Buskey