In a message dated: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:55:21 CDT
Thomas Charron said:

>  As a second note I forgot about, it also has a built in FTP and web server,
>as well as the ability to run Java servlets.  Definatly a nice little box..

Ahm, okay, so how is this different than a Cobalt then?

A Cobalt can do all of this, and being a web-appliance is it's main
function.  It *can* do NFS/CIFS if you want it to, but if you have
heavy duty NFS requirements, my personal opinion is:  Don't use Linux!

It's NFS performance as compared to Sun and True64 just plain stinks.
(actually, I've heard that True64 even blows Sun's NFS performance
out the door :)

Linux is very good at doing a lot of things.  It can do NFS, just not
that well.

So, other than these systems being better at NFS/CIFS, are they
essentially just like the Cobalt, just with a BSD core over Linux?
--

Seeya,
Paul