[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, at 10:55am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> ... espoused by Evi Nemeth, et al, in the UNIX/Linux System
>> Administrator's Handbook series.  RH violates these basic practices with
>> their configurations many times.
>
>  Heh.  My take on the same thing was that USAH didn't "get" many things
>about Linux and GNU.  :-)  The biggest being: GNU's Not Unix.  There are
>times where Red Hat (and others) have decided not to perpetuate certain
>braindamages from traditional Unix.  I, for one, am thankful for that in
>many cases.  Yes, it sometimes causes older software to break.  The answer
>is to fix the software.

Ever read "The Unix Hater's Handbook"?  It's got some very good points
about the flaws in Unix.  I think it's pre-Linux and many of the things
it complains about had been fixed by the time I read it ('92).  Some of
the things have been fixed but the old versions are still distributed by
the Unix vendors.

--
-------
Tom Buskey