In a message dated: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:08:02 EDT
Rich Payne said:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>> In a message dated: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:20:58 EDT
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>> >  Oh, oh, teacher, I know this one!  /etc/dfstab!
>> >
>> >  (Am I right?  It's been awhile...  :)
>>
>> Nope!  /etc/defaults/dfstab :)
>
>it's /etc/dfs/dfstab on my 5.7 and 5.8 boxes. /etc/defaults/
>doesn't even exist.

Oh, right, sorry.  It's been over 2 years since I've touched Solaris.
Guess I'm as rusty as Ben is on this one.  Of course, we both knew
the file was dfstab, so we could do a 'locate dfstab' and find it,
right ;) (that was sarcastic, I know, I need to use
'find /etc -name dfstab' if I really want to find it :)

>As for not calling it /etc/exports, well dfstab doesn't really contain
>exports like we think of on Linux. It contains share commands that get run
>on startup to share the filesystems. I think not calling it /etc/exports
>was actually right in this case (wait, am I actually defending
>Sun/Solaris....yikes, must be time for a holiday)

I'd say so :)  And once again, you've pointed out another area where
I was confused (there are oh, so many :)

It's /etc/vfstab that has the 2 extra fields, not dfstab.  The
dfstab, as you mentioned, has the 'share' commands, making dfstab
more of a shell script than an exports file.  Another thing I don't
quite get the logic of.  /etc/exports and exportfs always worked just
fine for me under every other version of UNIX.
--

Seeya,
Paul