Pedro de Medeiros írta:
> On 8/17/07, Gabor Kelemen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This is a nice start, but lacks the two most important features a new Gnome
>> translation tool should have: glossary pane
>> (no, a notebook tab is not sufficient) and translation memory pane, which
>> shows the good results from TM and their
>
> I believe the glossary could be a list of words in English with
> maybe some explanation and suggested substitutes in the
> target language. They could be shared by all translation
> projects or they could be specific to each context (maybe
> categories could be used for that).

I think it can have more features, besides these.
For example, I use at work a proprietary tool, which has a really handy
glossary-handling:
it lists the original strings in a pane, under them the known translations,
which have each a letter assigned to them.
Then pressing ctrl+letter pastes the possible translation at the cursor
position. Compared to simple text editors, this
feature alone boosts my productivity by a lot, and I think we need such a
functionality. You can find a screenshot of
this tool here:

http://www.vegadata.cz/images/TMpict.jpg

> I think a treeview could do that. User defined categories
> could be implemented as different nodes in the same
> treeview. What do you think?

I think using treeview can waste a lot of screen real estate, and I'd prefer to
see as much glossary matches as
possible.  Also, I can't imagine how user defined categories would help the
workflow, could somebody enlighten this idea?

>> source, which are diffed against the to-be-translated string and colored
>> based on the diff like in meld.
>
> I have to check poedit with more care, but how are TM data
> created exactly?

I don't know. Both KBabel and Poedit can read existing po files in their
internal database, but I don't know how they
implement this. Probably this is not very important as long as it is fast :).

>> Also I'd like to see some more screenshots about the "Must (not) translate"
>> and the Locations and Actions tabs: what do
>> these do?
>
> These are translate-toolkit features. If the same word is
> used in both source and target messages and if it is also
> in the "Must translate" list, the filter issues a warning.
>
> The same thing happens if the word is in the "Must not
> translate list" and the word is not found in the target
> string.

Ok, I see, but on these tabs, what can we do? Edit the lists or see the
warnings or something else?

> The "locations" string is the position in the source code
> where the string actually is, like the first line in:
>
> #: accels.c:123
> msgid "C_urrent Profile..."
> msgstr "Perfil _Atual..."
>
> The locations tab gathers these comment (because they
> can happen several times).

I think this information is too precious, at least for me to hide behind a tab.
Showing it in the same field as the
comment makes more sense, especially because in most of the cases, there is
simply no translator comment at all.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen