From: Vikram Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Pramod R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Claude Paroz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Gnome i18n <gnome-i18n@gnome.org>; [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 February, 2008 10:10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Kannada(kn_IN) translation of pessulus.HEAD.kn.po

Hello Pramod,
[cc'ing debian-l10n-kannada list]

On 26/02/2008, Pramod R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Nice to hear Vikram, but
please co-ordinate with Shankar Prasad (you can use the Kannada list at
http://www.sharma-home.net/mailman/listinfo/kannada) and the rest of the team,
since we are doing lots of Gnome translations and we don't want any duplicate
work.

Thank you. I will coordinate with Shankar but I prefer to and willencourage
others to use the debian-l10n-kannada mailing list and
thehttp://translate.swatantra.org web interface translation application.
This is because:
1. The translation of GNOME, OO.org and others has been slow and marked with
long periods of inactivity.
2. While you, Shankar Prasad and others have contributed totranslations, the
method of individual contributions alone is notsufficient to ensure long term
support or ensure the development of ateam who will continue the good work.
3. I have recently taken up the responsibility of co-ordinating the
localisation of Debian to Kannada.
4. I am actively enlisting the support of Kannada Depts. of variouseducational
institutions towards this effort and the Kannada dept. ofChrist College,
Bangalore, ( http://www.christcollege.edu ) is notedfor its contributions to
the Gutenberg project w.r.t. Kannada.
5. Please do check the Entrans application now. Around 2000+ stringshave
already been completed over and above the previous listed work.The translations
will be reviewed and then submitted as bug reports(for now).If you would like
to review them again - please feel free to do so.
I have jumped in with the idea of ensuring the sustained localisationof GNOME,
OO and other free software in the long run and will continueto work in this
direction.

With warm wishes,
Vikram Vincent
PS: I just realised that even the Sampada team have a "Kannada Localisation
Initiative" on their page http://kannada.sampada.net/
In order to remove ambiguity between the two, I have renamed ours as
"Swatantra.Org [Kannada Localisation Project]" http://swatantra.org/