On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net> wrote:

> Le vendredi 03 avril 2009 à 20:26 +0100, Simos a écrit :
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Is --signoff required when committing translations to git.gnome.org?
> > The signoff option adds the committer's name/e-mail in the commit
> > message.
>
> Looking at some current git modules, it doesn't seem to be a current
> practice. If you see any utility to this option, tell us. Otherwise,
> let's keep things as simple as possible. We have already the committer
> info, and possibly an alternate author one.

It is mentioned in
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/glib/tree/README.commits
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gtk+/tree/README.commits
that a sign-off should be added when committing.

I do not see a specific need apart from the possibility
of being a general policy for git.gnome.org commits.

I would consider against requiring a signoff, at least for now, for
usability reasons.
It requires to manually add '--signoff' at each commit command which is
cumbersome.
There has been talk for a 'commit.signoff' option to git that would
automatically add signoffs while committing. However, it is not available
yet in git,
http://marc.info/?l=git&m=123054942832644&w=2
If there was a commit.signoff option, then we would be able to activate once
only,
and have signoffs automatically added.

Simos