On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 13:32, Andika Triwidada <and...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Luc Pionchon <pionchon....@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> could someone explain with simple terms what the following means?
>>
>> "Atomic operations have been rewritten to use gcc builtins; calls with "
>> "explicit casts may be problematic."
>>
>> "Atomic operations on pointers have been added, including bit-locks on "
>> "pointer-size locations."
>>

> http://wiki.osdev.org/Atomic_operation
>
> IMHO developers are already familiar with these terms:
> atomic operation, gcc builtin, explicit cast, bit-lock
>
> Maybe you don't need to translate those terms?

Thank you for the reference!
It still seems very low level, and far from common application development,
am I wrong?

Let me ask in other words. In the context of GNOME platform release notes,
what is the main information? What does it bring to developers? Is it a new
API? A new facility? Or a performance improvement? Or just a warning that
internal changes may now break things? Is it targeted at glib developers or
application developers?