Abderrahim Kitouni commented:

> Surely that should be the goal. We don't have any reason to continue
> non-flatpak builds, right?

Yeah, of course. BTW, when will I be able to create web apps from flatpak
epiphany? :stuck\_out\_tongue\_winking\_eye:

> I think we should aim for making it as painless as possible for the app
> maintainers, even if that means the RT would have to maintain a separate
> build definition (gnome-build-meta) and let the apps continue using their
> flatpak manifests as their source of truth.

I agree with that. I see it more like:
1. let apps keep use their flatpak manifest for now.
1. work on the buildstream flatpak plugin so it implements the most commonly
used flatpak-builder features
1. start syncing the manifests to gnome-build-meta (so while the flatpak
manifests are the source of truth, gnome-build-meta has the same thing)
1. when gnome-builder gains support for buildstream (it's in the roadmap for
3.34, so hopefully soon) we can start phasing out the flatpak manifests.

> One issue though, is what would happen to the development/test experience
> with buildstream (nobody uses it yet, but we shouldn't make the workflow
> worse). Would this mean that for every change we would have to checkout a
> flatpak bundle and run that? And if so what would be the required changes in
> the bst plugin to make this as easier, like `flatpak-builder --install` or
> such.

The development/test experience with buildstream goes like:
```bash
bst workspace open some/element.bst ~/some/dir
cd ~/some/dir
# hack
cd ~/path/to/gnome-build-meta
bst build some/element.bst
bst shell some/element.bst
# test
```
(with bst master, you can run `bst build` and `bst shell` directly from the
workspace without specifying the element).

If testing in flatpak is desirable, it isn't hard to write a script to do the
equivalent of `flatpak-builder --install`. It can be made easier by making the
flatpak plugin produce a repo directly, so it is just a matter of running `bst
checkout` + `flatpak install`.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/Infrastructure/issues/133#note_514031
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.gnome.org.