Not necessarily. My understanding is that there is an idea for how to
enable the loading of the proprietary firmware without also steering
people to it when it's not present. A partial patch for it already
exists in the linux-libre mailing list archives but it's a hard
problem and hasn't been fully solved yet. Interested people are free
to help. It would probably be best to coordinate with Alexandre Oliva.
My recollection is that there's a conversation about it in either the
linux-libre list archives, or this one. Perhaps even both places at
different times.