On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:02:30 -0400
Richard Stallman <r...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Would a few of you like to form a committee to choose one?  I think
> that would be useful.  You could have discussions on another list
> specifically for this.
>
> Can you set yourselves a deadline of 3 weeks to find which are the
> easier targets, and report?
Right now I've a huge mail backlog (due to the huge amount of
discussions on gnu-linux-libre), so it's not easy for me to do that
right now. Once discussions end I'll have more time for that kind of
things if the volume of discussion is not too big.

Beside docker, it should be relatively easy to try CRAN (packages for
the R programming language):
- R has strict licensing
- R allows only few nonfree licenses that are not allowed in FSDG
  distributions:
  - Artistic License 1.0
  - CC-BY-NC
  - CC-BY-NC-SA
  - CC-BY-NC-ND
  It might also have CC-ND (I'm not sure about that) but anyway CC-ND
  is allowed in some cases, and at worse it could just be removed as
  well just to be sure.

And there is a lisp code that generates an unofficial Guix repository
for the all the R packages:
https://github.com/guix-science/guix-cran

So it might be possible to slightly modify that and make all free R
packages available to Guix users. Guix is also relatively easy to
install on top of an existing GNU/Linux distribution.

I didn't look into making a drop-in replacement for CRAN though.

Denis.