Hello all,

Python (if I am not right, I am sure there exist other examples of this case) as
of now seems to still dependĀ on Visual C being compiled on Windows and still
causing problems being compiled with MinGW. Now, assuming that providing open
source software on Windows doesn't give Windows an unfair advantage having all
this good software available on it, but rather to the contrary, makes it
easierĀ for Windows users making the transition to Linux, since all the software
they started using on Windows (open source software, of course) is available on
Linux, too, doesn't this mean Python is not as free as it could be? What if one
day Visual C in its license forbids using it to compile open source software? Is
that completely impossible?

On the Gnu website there is a list of completely free linux distributions. Would
this website be also a place for a list of software which

a) exists on Linux as well as Windows, making the transition to a good operating
system possible

b) can (on Windows) be compiled using a completely free toolchain (that is,
MinGW)

Any hints whether such a site / interest group already exists are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Gabriel Striewe