Murray Adelman writes:
|> My understanding is most of the major overhaul to yodl has been
|> completed and that the further updates will be bug fixes.  The current
|> version is yodl-1.30.0.pre12.
|
|I got this version of yodl and tried to compile it.  It seems to have
|trouble with itself, although with a different option.  Here is
|the error message:
|

|yodl2txt -doutdir=out --live-data=3 -o out/AUTHORS.txt AUTHORS.yo
|yodl: illegal option -- d

I think this error is coming from the stepmake doco build portion of
the build.  Yodl builds its own documentation by using the yodl you
just built.  However the stepmake doco uses the installed yodl to
build its document.  Stepmake is thought to be a separate package and
needs to be independent of it's surroundings.  What I did was go ahead
and install yodl pre12 asis, set my path to the new yodl, and then
rerun yodl make/install.  The second time around stepmake uses the
newly installed yodl and everything goes fine.

|BTW: I have compiled three versions of yodl in the last week and this is
|the first one that failed.  (It does seem a bit hairy to use a program
|under development as a development tool!)

Agreed! You are preaching to the choir here :)  So what we have to do
on a new lilypond build is:

o if a new version of yodl exists
  o build yodl
  o install yodl