On Tuesday, 13 October 1998, Adrian Mariano writes:

> > > Also, the default margins for 20pt look like they must be very tiny
> > > for A4 paper.  (They look pretty good on USA letter size which is 7mm
> > > wider.)
> >
> > Yup. This is to reflect normal shete music (which is larger than A4)
>
> Hmmm.  It might then be desirable not to lie and have "a4.ly" loaded.
> Is normal sheet music printed on a standard size of paper?  Or is a
> size used that predates the A, B, and C sizes?

This hasn't really been thought-through, i just keyed some stuff in.
However, we do have a bit of a dilemma here.  I thought that 'normal'
sheet music was supposed to be B4, but i never see quite that height,
rather something like 250x340mm, or 712x967pt...

Musicians really like (well i do) to have that B4ish size but the
problem is that B4 printers are not so common.  However, the actually
printed area on a B4ish piece of sheet music just about fits on A4,
if you omit all margins, that is.  The most probable setup for procucing
acceptable sheet music seems to be to print on A4, with 2-3mm margins,
and copy that onto B4 (most professional A4 copy machines can just
do B4 :-)

> > because of the cd $(outdir)
> >

> > > $(outdir)/%.dvi: $(outdir)/%.latex
> > >         (cd $(outdir)&& \
> > >           latex \\nonstopmode \\input $(<F)&&\
> > >           (bibtex $(basename $(<F))&&\
> > >           latex \\nonstopmode \\input $(<F)&&\
> > >           latex \\nonstopmode \\input $(<F) ) || true)
> > >

> So would it be ok to use semicolons instead of &&'s?

i guess this was mine, but perhaps something like

     (cd $(outdir) && latex \\...)
     (cd $(outdir) && latex \\...)

is a bit cleaner.