On Thursday, 25 February 1999, Christoph Dalitz writes:
> Dear Han-Wen, dear Jan,
>
> recently I have downloaded, compiled and installed
> lilypond 1.0.19 on my Intel Linux system. Although
> I find the input format very clumsy (compared e.g.
> to the ingeniously simple abc, or even compared to
> Mup), there are some unique features (e.g. figured

What is so exceptionally clumsy about a simple file
like input/example-1.fly:

    c'4 d e f g a b c

    % A simple scale in Mudela.
    %
    % Type:
    %
    %     ly2dvi example-1
    %     xdvi example-1     # or your dvi viewer here
    %
    % For more elaborate examples see twinkle.ly, kortjakje.ly and mutopia/*.
    %
    % A docmument on Mudela is under construction: Documentation/tex/mudela.doc
    % (available as .ps from the website too).

i fail to see the clumsiness here?

What are your specific grudges, do you have suggestions
for improvement?  In any case, we *don't* want to make
ugly hacks or cryptic abbreviations that could lead to
obscurity or even ambiguity when the input becomes more
complex.  (As an off-topic example, i would like to refer
to the horrors of the perl language.)

The input to Mup is especially broken, imnsho, because
it is not even a language.  While it may save some typing,
it gets really hairy when you want to do complex things.

> bass support, more than two voices per stave) that
> make lilypond useful in special cases where other,
> easier to use packages have shortcomings.

Thanks.

> 1. Installation of lilypond is a horror!

Please, send logs of what went wrong.  You may also send a
request to your packager (RedHat?) to distribute GNU LilyPond.

Good luck,

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/