[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> BTW, for modern music (and for percussion), it would be useful to have
>> \property Voice.noteHeadStyle = "x"
>> where "x" could be any single character.
>
> That won't do, the character must have exactly correct dimensions.  I
> don't see that happening.

I've requested a similar feature before and don't fully agree with
Han-Wen. The exact dimensions are needed if we want perfect support
for collision handling. I think it's better to have a general support
to include strange symbols at a specific pitch in a score instead of
having to implement dedicated support for every specific type of
notation. If Lilypond can't figure out the exact dimension, it could
use the dimensions of the standard note head as default. The limited
support for collision handling would be a minor problem.

Besides modern and percussion music, I could give you several
examples from baroque music where this would be useful.
In many examples, the "x" wouldn't be a character, but a
TeX macro (or postscript macro or whatever output language we use).

      /Mats