There is another way of getting rid of bar lines, although I haven't
tried it for a few releases:

  \paper {
    % look -- no barlines!
    Staff = \translator {
        \type "Engraver_group_engraver";
        defaultclef = violin;
        % \consists "Bar_engraver"; % commented out to get rid of them.
        \consists "Clef_engraver";
        \consists "Key_engraver";
        \consists "Meter_engraver";
        \consists "Local_key_engraver";
        \consists "Staff_sym_engraver";
        \consists "Collision_engraver";
        \consists "Rest_collision_engraver";
        \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver";
        \consists "Line_group_engraver";
        \accepts "Voice";
    }
  }

This doesn't work with Staff_group keeping the Span_bar_engraver
(which was one thing I was looking to see if Lilypond could do), but
it should work in the case where you want no barlines (for the entire
piece/excerpt).

Commenting out other stuff can give interesting effects as well,
sometimes more funny than useful.  Myself, I like to comment out the
Span_bar_engraver from the Span_bar_engraver when setting choral music
(i.e. with lyrics), which is something I do the same way.

--

Arvid