On Monday, 3 May 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm a newbie and try to use Lilypond RPM 1.1.37 together with Guile RPM 1.3-2
> on my SuSe 6.0 system. Suse provided version 1.0 with their distribution but
    + I
> heard 1.1 is better.

While this is generally true, it depends on what you need to do.
The rpm you're mentioning (pl 37) is reported to have some problems with
multiple staff layout.

You should check the examples on the web site, maybe look at the
chages that have been made (NEWS file) and decide if you need to
upgrade.

> The only report I get is that library libreadline.so.3 is missing. Then the
> whole business crashes.

What version of readline *do* you have, and are you sure that is the
only library that you miss?  Do:

   ldd /usr/bin/lilypond

You may have to wait for a newer rpm distribution, that will probably
be for RedHat 6.0, or compile from source :-)
I guess that SuSe and RedHat 6.0 both have readline 4.0.

> Is the missing library an unsolvable problem, so that I

Depends.  If you have libreadline-2.x, you may try upgrading to 3.0.
Alternatively, you can try making a symlink:

    ln -s /usr/lib/libreadline.so /usr/lib/libreadline.so.3

but I doubt whether this will work.

> have to build from source, which I hate, or not?

What's your grudge against compiling source packages,
do you want to talk about it ;-)

You should try it, you might learn something.  Try making your
own rpm:

    rpm  -tb lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz

you should install YODL, and maybe some -devel packages (notably
guile-devel).
you might have problems with pnmtopng; if you do, symlink it cat, eg.

    cd /usr/local/bin
    ln -s /bin/cat pnmtopng

But seriously, you *do* realise that the greatest thing about
GNU/Linux is the fact that you *can* build everything from source?

> Thanks for patience with solving newbie-problems,

Greetings,

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/      | http://www.lilypond.org/